a friendship between two twenty-something men is tested to its very limits when they go on a hike in a desert and forget to bring any water or food with them.
dir.: gus van sant
adventure / drama / mystery
casey affleck / matt damon
- it is the first film of van sant’s “death trilogy”, three films based on deaths that occurred in real life, and is succeeded by elephant and last days.
- the film opens without any company credits, no actor or director credits, and not even the title of the movie, except for the miramax films logo in non-theatrical prints.
- this film runs for about 100 minutes, and features exactly 100 shots, resulting in an average shot length of about 60 seconds.
- the plot of the film shares some commonalities with the events surrounding the death of david coughlin.
- it was shot in a semi-improvised style with a small crew in argentina, death valley, and the utah salt flats.
- is dedicated to the memory of ken kesey, author of one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
+: david coughlin