“four interlocking tales that take place in a fading hotel on new year’s eve.”
dirs.: allison anders, alexandre rockwell, robert rodriguez & quentin tarantino
this movie features the collaborative directorial efforts of four new filmmakers, each of whom directs a segment of this comedy.
- the film was originally to be titled “five rooms,” with richard linklater contributing a segment; however, he withdrew before production began.
- the original idea for the film came from alexandre rockwell.
- the role of ted was originally written with steve buscemi in mind.
- quentin tarantino’s “a band apart” production logo at the beginning of the film shows tim roth’s “mr. orange” unzipping his character from reservoir dogs and becoming the bell hop character for four rooms.
- the video game being played by betty and her friends is rambo iii for the sega genesis, however some scenes show her playing “rambo” for the nintendo entertainment system.
- ted can be seen with the two cherries from the missing ingredient at the beginning of the misbehavers.
- before “the misbehavers” turn to the “porno” channel, they are watching the short film bedhead, also written and directed by robert rodriguez.- just before ted answers a call from the man in “the misbehavers”, a package of red apple cigarettes is visible near the switchboard. this fictitious brand of cigarettes features in other quentin tarantino films.
- robert rodriguez and antonio banderas shot their segment one week after wrapping up the filming of desperado.
- in the fourth room the alfred hitchcock presents episode they call “the man from rio (or reno)” is actually called “man from the south” (ep. #5.15) 1/3/1960.
- in the final segment, “the man from hollywood”, which last 21 minutes, the word “fuck” or a variant of it is said 193 times.
- the “one minute” chester asks ted to sit on the stool and listen to his proposal actually lasts one minute and twenty eight seconds of screen time.
- the reason bruce willis is not credited is because he violated sag rules for acting in this film for no money. he appeared for fun and as a favor to quentin tarantino, and acting for free violated sag rules. sag agreed not to sue willis if his name was not included in the credits. but his hairstylist does appear.
- the film continues until the credits are halfway over.
- madonna won the 1995 razzie award for worst supporting actress for her part in “the missing ingredient”.