police drama about two cops, one new and one about to retire, after a serial killer using the seven deadly sins as his modus operandi
dir.: david fincher
brad pitt / morgan freeman / kevin spacey
- the original script had a strange, dwarf-like woman as part of the forensics team, appearing in every one of the “cleanups” after a murder and hurling foul language and epithets at detectives somerset and mills.
- all the building numbers in the opening scene start with 7. the climactic delivery was scheduled for 7pm.
- at exactly 7 minutes into the film mills picks up the phone to be called over to the gluttony scene.- the word “fuck” and its derivatives are said a discernible 74 times throughout the movie, mostly by brad pitt as detective mills.
- kevin spacey was cast two days before filming began.
- all of john doe’s books were real books, written for the film. they took two months to complete and cost $15,000. according to detective somerset, two months is also the time it would take the police to read all the books.
- john doe, made his first appearance in the film, as the photographer taking pictures of detectives mills and somerset at the sloth crime scene. if you pause the film at 54:45, when mills was slapping the camera out of the photographer’s hand, you can clearly see that.
long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light. -se7en